Re: How to cope with patches sanely --> Debian New Maintainers'

On Wed Feb 06 12:09, Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:
> Hi Pierre,
>
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 09:17:12PM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> >   Again, the discussion isn't (for me) about a tool, but an exchange
> > format. We are discussing having patches served in a quilt series, and
>
> okay, this approach is similar but different. So you want a quilt
> series, but not quilt. This means every other utility must be able to
> generate this and must support every future quilt has, which itself may
> not have. So, effectively you don't actively force them to use sth. but
> passiveley you do. The difference is small however.

I'd have said that it would be more sensible to define a reasonable subset
of quilt features. A set of patches with comments at the top and a
series file can be manipulated by many tools, isn't really
quilt-specific. Allowing obscure quilt-only features wasn't what I'd
understood from the discussion.

Anyway, given that many VCSen seem to be gaining quilt-compatible
interfaces, it doesn't really seem like forcing people to use quilt.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson