Re: rebuilding the archive in a dirty chroot: results

On 25/01/08 at 15:25 +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've done two rebuilds of sid on i386.
> - one in a perfectly clean chroot, as I usually do
> - one in a chroot, where as many build-dependancies as impossible were
>   installed (take the Sources file, extract the build-deps for all
>   packages, and install as many packages as possible) (the chroot is
>   named bdfh -- build daemon from hell)
>
> It is important that packages build in the same way (same binary
> packages generated) in both cases, because:
> - some maintainers still don't build in clean chroot
> - buildds don't necessarly cleanup all build-deps after build,
>   so you don't know in which environment your packages are being
>   built
>
> Then I compared the results, and I started crying. ;)
>
> 236 packages built fine in the clean chroot, but failed to build in the
> dirty chroot.  In some cases, it's caused by automake1.4 being
> installed, and not being removed by sbuild.
>
> 35 packages failed in both the clean and the dirty chroot, but with
> different reasons, apparently (I have a script that tries to "guess" the
> reason for a failed build, but it's far from being 100% reliable)
>
> 938 packages produced different binary packages according to debdiff. Of
> those, 477 produced different Depends line (caused by some features not
> being explicitely enabled, but not being explicitely disabled, usually).

Hi,

I did another rebuild. Thanks to the Debian GNU/kFreeBSD cabal, the
results are available on io.debian.net. If you want shell access, read
http://io.debian.net/ssh.html . If web access is enough, go to
http://io.debian.net/~lucas/bdfh-20080202/

Interesting files/dirs:
failed-packages.txt: list of packages that failed in one or the
   other chroot, or which failed in both, but for a different reason.
failed-packages.dd-list.txt: same, dd-list sorted.
different-packages.txt: packages that generated different binary
   packages, using debcmp.
different-packages.dd-list.txt: same, dd-list sorted.
logs.*/: build logs
pkg.*/: the generated packages
debcmp/: the output from debcmp

debcmp is an home-made script I use to compare packages, looking more
deeply than what debdiff does. It's available from
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/collab-qa/tools/debcmp/ , if you want to
double-check the results.

My plan is to start filing bugs on the packages that failed to build,
and on those that differ in important ways (less/more files, less/more
Depends). It's already a lot of work. Is someone interested in helping
me with those tasks? Or maybe someone has an NM, and doesn't know what
he should do for T&S? ;)

In the meantime, don't hesitate to fix your packages!