Re: Backport of debhelper

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 09:41:56AM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> On 11286 March 1977, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
> > I saw that there is now a new debhelper package version 6 in SID. I have
> > been told by my sponsor to have a dependency to it, and set my
> > compatibility level to 6. This is quite ok, but I need to maintain my
> > package for Etch. I did a quick backport of debhelper from SID on my
> > laptop, and it doesn't seems to be causing any trouble.
>
> Do not follow the advice of that sponsor, look for a different sponsor
> instead. Only ever update the debhelper dependency if you really use a
> feature of the new version.

I was the one who provided that advice.  (Thomas, do feel free to ignore
the advice and stick with debhelper 5).

Joerg, I developed the opinion that debhelper level 6 should be used
about the time I started helping out with pkg-perl team package uploads.
Debhelper 6 had come out it was discussed in #debian-perl that perhaps
the team should updated its packages as new uploads were performed.
Additionally, the changelog of debhelper [0] seems to recommend using
the new compatibility level.  I figured since it was fine for the Debian
Perl Group, it should be OK for others.  In any event, perhaps the
advice you provide in your other mail in this thread should be included
in the Debian developer reference.

Regards,

-Roberto

[0] http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/d/debhelper/debhelper_6.0.5/changelog#versionversion6.0.0