Re: How to cope with patches sanely (Was: State of the project - input needed)

also sprach Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> [2008.01.27.0939 +1100]:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 06:00:02PM +0000, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

>   I'm less and less sure that a git-based format is a brilliant
>   idea. I like git more than a lot, but it's a poor idea to base
>   source packages on them.

Why?

>   IOW, all that you should need to grok what is in a source package
> should basically be tar/ar/cpio/... and vi.

Are you sure that this has to be the case in 10 years? I know what
you mean, I agree with you, but this sort of thinking must not get
in the way of innovation and advancements. When tar came around,
I am sure some people opposed to its use and said that everything
should be based on ar only. I am glad they didn't get their way
(even if this is fictitious and has never actually happened,
AFAICT).

At the same time, I don't think it's wise to expect people to know
the different ways to handle git.tar.gz and bzr.tar.gz and so on.
I think what we want is the often-mentioned wrapper which hides the
actual storage backend in use.

>   Another thing is that people have the old habit to see the
>   source package be the preferred form of modification for
>   a Debian package.

Again, those people are not our priority. We ought not forget them,
but we also shouldn't restrict the rest of the project because of
them.

"i can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. there
 is something unfair about its use. it is hitting below the
 intellect."
                                                        -- oscar wilde