Re: control file Replaces: question

William Francis <wfrancis@gmail.com> writes:

> I want to manage the config files for several other packages centrally
> in one package that I'm going to maintain. According to the package
> maintainers guide, section 7.5.1 [1] , this is entirely possible and
> perfectly reasonable via the Replaces: option in the control file.

That's not what that Policy section is talking about.  It's specifically
covering the case when you have a newer package that's taking over files
from an older package.

The problem with doing this with a package that's not giving up ownership
of those files is that when you upgrade the package whose configuration
files you overwrote, it will ( error out / take the configuration files
back ) depending on how exactly dpkg tackles this problem.  I'm not sure
which will happen, but either way it isn't what you want.

If you really need to do this, you will need to divert the configuration
files with dpkg-divert.  However, you really don't want to do this.
Rather than managing configuration files with a package, you really want
to use something like Puppet or Cfengine to manage configuration.