control file Replaces: question

I want to manage the config files for several other packages centrally in one package that I'm going to maintain. According to the package maintainers guide, section 7.5.1 [1] , this is entirely possible and perfectly reasonable via the Replaces: option in the control file. My question is, how do I use the Replaces: option to take ownership of just one file and not have it delete the entire package? Also, can I make my config package Depend: on the package that I'm going to replace the config file of, or does it need to be installed first for this to work?

thanks,

Will

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s7.5.1