Re: How to cope with patches sanely (Was: State of the project -input needed)

Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, Michael Banck wrote:
And there I thought we'd use whatever we like until wig&pen lands, which
will have native patch support.

What's the status of that?  Is my assumption bad?

Not completely, I'm following the discussion closely as I really want to
provide the required features in dpkg-dev directly. But I'm afraid that
wig&pen as defined might not be enough for all cases.

Well surely wig&pen would be used with aditional tools in some cases.
A tool providing the ability to unapply arbitrary patches (by rolling back all the patches, and re-apply skipping that one) and other similar things would be common enough that tools would need to be available for the developer to use.

It would seem to me that tools that a developer could use for such a purpose
could be used (possibly conditionally) in the debian/rules file.

I suspect that would cover the vast majority of special patching needs.

And Joey already made a proposal for a 3.0 source package (wig&pen is 2.0)
based on git.