Re: How to cope with patches sanely (Was: State of the project - input needed)

Jon Dowland wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 10:13:37AM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
>> The only sad thing is that quilt only deals with patches (i.e. diffs),
>> whereas dpatch can do scripts, too. Anyways, I now prefer not using
>> dpatch of quilt.
>
> Does anyone know how common it is for this additional functionality to
> be used in packages in the archive?

I use it in cernlib and related packages.  Upstream builds several
libraries, which are a complete mess in terms of mutual dependencies
(lib1 requiring symbol foo from lib2, but lib2 requiring symbol bar from
lib1).  So I use dpatch scripts to move a number of source code files
from one library to another to fix this mess.

(Off-topic, but this doesn't really break any binary compatibility with
upstream, since upstream doesn't even build shared libraries.)

Using real patches to delete the files from one directory and resurrect
them in another directory would bloat the Debian diff a lot more, and be
much harder to keep in sync with upstream changes (not that cernlib is
really changing anymore, admittedly).

best regards,

--
Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty@gmail.com>