Re: How to deal with bugs from removed packages?

* Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> [2008-01-24 20:44]:
> What's the best way to deal with bugs from packages that are removed
> from unstable? Currently, they are not closed when a package is removed.
> I can see two solutions:
> - Close them. However, they might still affect stable or oldstable.  So
>   closing them without a version might lead people to thinking that the
>   bug is solved. And I'm not sure that closing them with a version is a
>   solution either: there's no version we can use to indicate that a
>   package was removed.
> - Leave them open and ignore them. However, it prevents them from being
>   archived. I'm not sure if bugs that don't affect unstable, testing,
>   stable or oldstable, but are not closed, are automatically archived?

FWIW, this is something I'm taking care of (at least in theory).  In
the past, I closed all bug reports from packages that were removed.
Some people were unhappy about this but it was the best solution we
had.  This changed with the introduction of version tracking.  The
idea now is to close them with a fake version number that is higher
than the version that was removed (maybe something like version+removed).
Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to write some scripts to do
that, and I'm getting way behind.  In fact, I haven't closed any bugs
since July. :(  I guess it's time to ask for volunteers to write such
a script.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/