Re: loosing dependencies: Depends: on logrotate

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Sven Mueller wrote:
> Exactly. If any of the old, rather inflexible syslog implementations
> depended on logrotate, I would say that would be perfectly fine. But
> for applications (even if they write their logs themselves like
> apache or samba usually do), I would only expect a simple
> Recommends. On my servers, I'm forced to have logrotate installed
> due to applications like samba, even though I immediately disable
> logrotate after installation and use my own rotation scripts (for
> those applications not using syslog - syslog-ng in this case)
> instead.

You need to have some kind of log rotation in place, so a depends[0]
is perfectly appropriate, since the only type of log rotation that we
actually distribute is logrotate.[1] (I mean, without *some* kind of
log rotation, you're going to run out of disk space eventually, which
seems to me to be a pretty important bit of functionality.) Since
samba even distributes an appropriate logrotate config file, it
obviously depends on it.

Finally, it's not like you can't indicate that you're dealing with
logrotation by yourself by using an equivs package to work around the
dependency.

Don Armstrong

0: And actually, it's not clear to me why syslog-ng doens't depend on
logrotate.
1: TTBOMK, of course; if there are others, then there possibly should
be a metapackage for them.
--
The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of
the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the