Re: loosing dependencies

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 02:01:51AM +0600, Ivan Shmakov wrote:
> 	Currently, the `fortunes' package depends on either
> 	`fortune-mod' or `fortune-min':
>
> $ apt-cache show fortunes
> Package: fortunes
> Source: fortune-mod
> Version: 1:1.99.1-3
> Provides: fortune-cookie-db
> Depends: fortune-mod (>= 9708-12), fortunes-min
>
> 	Does it make sense, provided that the fortune files may as well
> 	be read by M-x fortune in Emacs, or even by a plain `less'?

Probably not, it seems to me that you are right, and that this dependency
should be relaxed.

> 	And more generally, does it make sense for a pure-data package
> 	to have non-empty Depends:?

I can imagine that there are cases in which data is really specific
to a particular application, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Could you please file a bug report against the fortune package?

-Ralf.