Re: Please write useful changelogs

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 10:26:00AM +0100, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Wed, January 16, 2008 10:13, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> > Hi Anibal,
> >

> > please write what actually changed, what the issue was about.
> >
> > | bzip2 (1.0.4-1) unstable; urgency=low
> > |
> > |   * Synchronise with Ubuntu. Closes: #456237
> >

> > This says about nothing at all.  It gives me no more information than
> > "Something changed".
>
> For all fairness, you cut out the rest of the changes below it, which
> included the full Ubuntu changelogs where this refers to. It can be
> debated if this is a nice style, but the information is there.

Not entirely; this version incorporated some (but not all) of the
Debian/Ubuntu delta.  It's important to be specific.

When an Ubuntu package is resynchronized with Debian, the complete list of
changes is included in the changelog entry.  Ideally, the Debian changelog
would copy the same text when merging the changes, making it easy to confirm
what has or hasn't been merged.

For example:

xxxxx (vvv-1ubuntu1) edgy; urgency=low

  * Merged with Debian. Changes are:
    + Modified build-dep on libfoo to build on edgy.
    + Added .desktop file.

More about our policies and procedures here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/Merging

--
 - mdz