Re: electronics-menu REJECTED (discussion)

Le Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:25:55PM +0000, Peter Clifton a écrit :

> Suggesting that any of these should be shoe-horned into the nearest XDG
> main category or risk not appearing in any menu is only going to cause
> the XDG system to be further inefficient in meeting users needs. For
> gEDA, we violate the menu spec and do not list a "main" category, as
> getting lost under "Other" seems preferable to any of the above
> categories.

Indeed, if there is not a critical mass, and if "Other" itself is not
crowded, it can make sense to have it there.

> I don't think it is advisable to require installing a customised
> distribution just for a particular task.

Do not worry, I just wanted to make sure that you are aware of all the
possibilities.

Since we have the same problem in Debian-Med, I suggest that we join our
forces to negociate with XDG. In my opinion, we would be more sucessful
if we already had things in a proper shape in Debian, so that we can say
that our claim is not just a wish, but refers to something real. We
could also try to discuss with other major players that are popular
among scientists: Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo for instance, and bring up the
issue with some kind of official support of working groups that can be
weighted by their achievements.

Shall I open a wiki page to start the coordination of this ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org