Generic "extra menus" package (was: Re: electronics-menu REJECTED (discussion))

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 19:34 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:
> Joerg is advocating creating a package "xdg-extra-menus" to gather any
> possible extra menus which could be installed by the user.

I've spent a fair amount of time hacking on this, and have a result.. a
package I'm calling "extra-menus" for now (I don't want to namespace
starting with xdg-, as it isn't from XDG).

This installs what was in my electronics-menu package (that got
rejected), and what is currently in the hamradiomenus package.

It also ships two scripts, based on a2moden and a2moddis, which I've
named: exmenen and exmendis. These allow you to link / unlink the
provided extra menus into either a system wide or per-user config.

The menus ship on by default, as this appears to be the only sane way
for applications to be able to install and "just work" as the user
expects. If no apps list a particular category that the menu provides,
it doesn't show up.. so little harm is done this way.

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~pcjc2/debian/extra-menus_1.0-1.dsc
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~pcjc2/debian/extra-menus_1.0-1.diff.gz
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~pcjc2/debian/extra-menus_1.0.orig.tar.gz

I'd appreciate it if those who were advocating this approach on IRC
could check over the package, and see what they think.

Do I need an ITP bug to proceed?

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,