Re: Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 09:24:59PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> Btw, if the 5 second wait isn't long enough for sendsigs, we can
> extend it.  There is code there to make sure sendsigs terminates as
> soon as the last process it tries to kill is dead, so we could
> increase the timeout without affecting the normal shutdown times.  It
> will wait from 0 to 5 seconds at the moment, depending on how long it
> take for the processes to die.  It would not be a problem to let it
> wait from say 0 to 10 seconds, or 0 to 30 seconds.

That may be a good safety measure. I think it is really hard to hit the
5 second limit but when that happens it is very hard to diagnose later
what went wrong. So if we can increase the max. timeout without imposing
a real delay in the common case (i.e. when everything shuts down
properly) that's good.

Also, how about doing a sync before sending the signals? That way I/O
generated by the services that _do_ have a proper shutdown script won't
interfere with killing the "trivial" services. Sure, that sync can take
time, but then the final sync will be that much shorter.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences