Re: Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 09:24:59PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> Btw, if the 5 second wait isn't long enough for sendsigs, we can
> extend it.  There is code there to make sure sendsigs terminates as
> soon as the last process it tries to kill is dead, so we could
> increase the timeout without affecting the normal shutdown times.  It
> will wait from 0 to 5 seconds at the moment, depending on how long it
> take for the processes to die.  It would not be a problem to let it
> wait from say 0 to 10 seconds, or 0 to 30 seconds.

That may be a good safety measure. I think it is really hard to hit the
5 second limit but when that happens it is very hard to diagnose later
what went wrong. So if we can increase the max. timeout without imposing
a real delay in the common case (i.e. when everything shuts down
properly) that's good.

Also, how about doing a sync before sending the signals? That way I/O
generated by the services that _do_ have a proper shutdown script won't
interfere with killing the "trivial" services. Sure, that sync can take
time, but then the final sync will be that much shorter.

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences