Re: Opinions needed: reporting lintian overrides

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 22:30:09 -0800
Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

> After a recent problem with a package with a fairly egregious error that
> was overridden, hurting the ability of the sponsor to notice it, I added a
> line of output to the default lintian output saying if any package
> overrides error or warning tags.

> I'd really like to not have to make this decision myself.  I'd like to get
> opinions and see if a consensus emerges.  I personally always run lintian
> with -iI --show-overrides, so I'm clearly not the target audience for this
> feature one way or the other.

As a sponsor, I'd rather have lintian silent on overrides by default
and use an alias to show overrides in my shell. That allows me to have
silent output in pbuilder builds and obvious override notices in other
builds.

>  Here are the options:
>
> * Show the N: line with a count of overrides per package by default and
>   provide an option to suppress this output if someone wants.
>
> * Don't show the N: line by default and provide an option to turn it on.

Second option would be my choice.

> Separately, I'm working on adding lintian overrides to the lintian.d.o
> pages to make it easier to see how people are using overrides across the
> whole archive.  It looks like people sometimes just add an override when
> lintian makes a mistake rather than filing a bug, so this gives us a
> fighting chance of finding those bugs and fixing them.  It also uncovers
> some fascinating overrides currently in the archive.

That would be extremely useful - thank you.

> Oh, and there are 1759 unused overrides in the archive in 369 packages.
> lintian -i will tell you about unused overrides.  We do fix false-positive
> bugs!

Having an alias to show overrides would make it easier to spot those
too.

--

Neil Williams