Re: Parallel build results

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 09:21:33PM -0500, Daniel Schepler wrote:
> I finally got through the test builds of all the source packages in sid for
> i386 using dpkg-buildpackage -j3 on a dual core machine.  The results as
> before are at http://people.debian.org/~schepler/build-logs/bymaint.html .
> Some statistics:
>
>     204 built BROKEN packages
>    1408 FAILED
>     230 FAILED, even with regular build
>    8986 succeeded
>    1014 succeeded, but with jobserver warnings
>
> These are not encouraging statistics, especially considering the fact that
> there are undoubtedly many false negatives, so I'll hold off on submitting
> bug reports for now.

Did you compare the contents of the package with and without -j? I am
almost sure some of the successfully built packages are actually not
correctly built and some files are missing.

For example I remember having seen some python packages building one
flavour after the other in different targets. I imagine this could
result in one of the flavour being overwritten by the other, and thus
not present in the resulting .deb file.