Re: MTA comparison (postfix, exim4, ...)

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 01:44:51 +0900, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> said:

> Just to be sure...  I am running postfix now just to find out the same
> questions you have...

> I see no practical reason to run postfix on desktop machine now except
> if postfix is something you are very familiar with...  As you mght
> have expected, Manoj who is one of the best DD and wants to package
> everything without debhelper seems to be running sendmail on his
> desktop machine.  I am not taking this data to say we should follow
> him.  This data was meant to give some objective status view.

        While I am flattered (and somewhat embarrassed) by the
 accolade, I strongly agree with the assessment that I am far from the
 typical user, and I should very likely not be emulated in this area.

        I run sendmail since I have long paid my dues in sendmail.cf;
 and since sendmail can do everything I ever want an MTA to do, this
 level of comfort has come from  long hours of blood and sweat and
 tears, and not everyone can spend the time required to learn the
 intricacies of sendmail's config language.

        I do think, however, that the sentiment that sendmail is much
 worse for security might be something that needs to be reviewd; today's
 sendmail is not the sendmail of yore.  It has undergone a refactoring,
 and now implements privilege separation  (which is something that
 postfix pioneered).

        manoj
--
A lost ounce of gold may be found, a lost moment of time never.