Re: RFC: cups as "default" printing system for lenny?

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:
> Also, do we really need *any* printing system as priority: standard?  It's
> not clear to me that printing is still really part of a standard Unix
> installation, even for desktop users (and it definitely isn't for
> servers).

I believe it to be one of the more important bits of a standard Unix
*desktop* installation - but this just reminds me of the fact that I'm
quite uncomfortable with keeping a system like package priorities around
for much longer. Diverging use-cases (like in this case) show that one
definition of "standard" isn't really helpful anymore.

I think we may want to start thinking about getting rid of the whole
thing and switching to something which allows us to express more complex
importance measurements for packages. In fact, d-i and its task system
have been a step in that direction, so we maybe should evaluate if we
want to formalize it a bit more and get it into policy to replace
priorities.

Marc
--
BOFH #4: