Re: LSB-ize daemon without pidfile handling

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 10:24:46PM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Petter Reinholdtsen [Fri, 09 Nov 2007 22:00:42 +0100]:
> > It is not obvious for me.  Can you explain why it should be obvious
> > that you do not plan to patch the daemon to write its own pid file?
> > For me, the obvious solution for a daemon unable to write its own pid
> > file is to patch the daemon.
>
> Well, it's obvious it's the best approach if you're willing to do it. ;-)

It's three lines of code to write a PID file, and it's the best approach
to make sure you don't break stuff.

> As a Debian packager, though, I would most likely just trust the authors
> of start-stop-daemon and its --make-pidfile.

--make-pidfile, --exec, and friends, are all ugly workarounds for buggy
daemons that can't write a pidfile.

Really.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22