Re: Consistent handling of the DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 09:46:52PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> Mark Brown <broonie@sirena.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 08:54:29PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

> > > The size of the test suite is completely irrelevant. Executing a single
> > > compiled binary will cause any cross build to break, even if it is a
> > > 1kb no-op.

> > Attempting to execute a binary not supported by the host will obviously
> > fail but that is not going to cause the package build to fail
> > automatically.  A lot of what you've been saying appears to be
> > predicated on the assumption that it will.

> In which circumstances would it not cause a failure?

> dpkg-buildpackage will fail if any command cannot be executed, whether
> that is because the file or directory does not exist or whether it was
> because the file was not executable or the wrong architecture. Whether
> the executable is called by sh, make, libtool or by some other means,
> the build will fail.

...and the resulting error is passed back to the rules file (and the
rules file doesn't ignore the result of the command itself, for that
matter).  It's not the execution of the binary that's the problem, it's
depending on it succeeding that's the problem.