Re: Consistent handling of the DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS

Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 10:48:55PM +0100, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
>
>> If you run a test you usually *want* to have it fail on build time if
>> the test did not go trough. Otherwise running tests is useless - or do
>> you check all build logs with every  upload?
>
> In the particular case I'm thinking of the quality of the testsuite was
> questionable so while it was useful to have the results to look at if
> something went wrong it wasn't good enough to rely on it entirely.

But that's hopefully not the common case. If the test suite is broken or
incomplete it makes rarely sense to have a test suite at all, and if the
test suite is correct and it fails always, the program must be buggy.
Both things which should be fixed by upstream.
Usually I add tests to detect problems which were introduced by a new
compiler, architecture or similar things, and of course to make sure the
program works on all supported architectures as expected. So having the
tests enabled by default makes much sense.

So there should be a way to disable them if the tests can't work in the
current build environment.

--
Bernd Zeimetz
<bernd@bzed.de>                         <http://bzed.de/>