Re: Building packages three times in a row

On 23/09/07 at 23:32 +0200, Martin Uecker wrote:

> Patrick Winnertz wrote:
> > >
> > > Hopefully they don't encode the build-time in the file list?
> > We checked not for files which differ, but only for files which are missing
> > in the first package. or which are missing in the second package.
> >

> I think it would be really cool if the Debian policy required
> that packages could be rebuild bit-identical from source.
> At the moment, it is impossible to independly verify the
> integricity of binary packages.

We are currently very far from that. If you want to go that direction,
you have to find a several-steps process that would make us go there.

I compared the result of a one build, with the result of a package built
three times, using debdiff. This has several flaws:

- it only compared the list of files. If the same files are there, but
  with totally different size, it won't notice.

- it didn't compare with what is in the archive: packages in the archive
  might be totally different, because they were built at a different
  time (with a different toolchain), or in a dirty environment.

Basically, the goal you should aim at is "rebuilding a package should
generate binary packages similar enough to what's already in the
archive."

Raphael's dpkg-shlibdeps work should also help with that, but it doesn't
seem like #430367 has progressed recently?