Re: RFC: changes to default password strength checks in pam_unix

Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> writes:
> If you enforce longer passwords than people are comfortable with, you
> get weaker passwords (or poor password management practices).  It's
> the humans that matter, not the machines.

Exactly.

If the system is excessively anal about what passwords it will let you
use, people will just start writing them down...

[One system I like is the password strength meter that you get when
signing up for a gmail account, updated with every keystroke when
entering a password.  I don't recall whether it actually enforced
anything, but I think when the user can see what's happening and very
easily make incremental modifications, the results would tend to be
better.]

-miles

--
(\(\