Re: making debian/copyright machine-interpretable

Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org> wrote:
>   Hello, I would like to gather comments about a proposal I have been
> thinking about during the GPLv2/v3 and GPLv2/CDDL discussions. I have
> finally written down what I have in mind here, and refined it with the
> help of many people on IRC:

>     http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat

>   I'll simply repeat the rationale here, so that you know why I feel
> this is important. The diversity of free software licences means that
> Debian does not only need to care about the freeness of a given work,
> but also its licence's compatibility with the other parts of Debian it
> uses.
[...]

I have got the feeling that for these cross-checks the proposal is not very
useful.  I cannot see how to quickly extract the *effective licenses
on the built libraries from the copyright file.

foo-bar is GPLv3+
libfoo is LGPLv2.1+
libfoo-extend is GPLv3+

             cu andreas