Re: backports tool

Seg, 2007-09-03 às 14:46 +0200, Sebastian Harl escreveu:
> Hi Luis,
>
> On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 01:09:14PM +0100, Luis Matos wrote:
> > how about the development of  tool on we could:
> >
> >  - add the sid repos to sources.list
>
> This should be done manually, it only has to be done once anyway.
of course

> >  - with a simple command download every needed source package
> > (dependencies)
>
> You would have to do some kind of recursion here to build all required build
> dependencies in the correct order. This might get pretty bloated, just think
> of gimp which requires an up to date version of gtk which needs an up to date
> version of glib...

so imagine doing that by hand ...

> > is this doable?
>
> Sure, it is (basically anything that can be expressed by some kind of
> algorithm is doable ;-). However, I think it makes much more sense to take the
> time (once!) to build a clean backport of the package in testing which can be
> uploaded to backports.org, so anybody can benefit from it.

this is meant for users to use not-in-backports situation, like testing
newer software.

This tool can also be used to backport some packages. With the
possibility of forcing some versions, etc.

I am developing some software and i like to test some newer (like
anjuta). But, i like too much of having  stable system. I know this
"tool" could bring some instability, but it is known.