Re: APT 0.7 for sid

On 6/10/07, Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> wrote:
On 10-Jun-07, 17:47 (CDT), Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:
>   Since then, it seems like most users have switched to apt-get and
> synaptic, with hardly anyone using aptitude or dselect any more

Really? I'd have guessed that most people used aptitude. I can't imagine
anyone preferring synaptic to aptitude. Of course, I don't really
understand why anyone prefers [any graphical MUA] to mutt, or [any
graphical newsreader] to trn. I mean, GUIs are nice for things you don't
use every day, but for serious work, they're so damn slow and klutzy.

I am definitely a GUI person (aptitude is the last non-GUI program
with a GUI available that I still use), but I still prefer aptitude to
any other. I was under the impression that most others did too, is it
not the recommended Debian way?

Maybe the non-developer community prefers the GUIs, it's hard to tell,
all I know is that whenever I've strayed from aptitude, something has
always brought me back (sometimes strange install choices, but usually
it's automatic removal). Even on (k)ubuntu, where the recommended
package manager is (adept) synaptic, I've tried them out but ended up
going back to aptitude, and through the long process of marking
everything as automatic and then picking and choosing what I want to
install (which is actually easier on ubuntu thanks to the umbrella
packages they use).

Cameron