Re: aptitude removals (was Re: APT 0.7 for sid)

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 10:46:37AM -0400, Philippe Cloutier <philippe.cloutier.2@ulaval.ca> was heard to say:

> >Apparently there have been bugs in this for years and no-one reported
> >them until they caused trouble for the d-i team several months ago.
> >They should be fixed in stable's aptitude now, and I would appreciate
> >bug reports on any transition problems that remain.
> FWIW, I thought that you acknowledged that this problem was reported in
> #299009 (over 25 months ago). I'm mentioning this because I believe this
> issue is/was the main reason for "anti-aptitudism".

  Bug #299009 is AFAIK about the fact that aptitude produces different
dependency resolutions from the visual UI versus the command-line.  This
is because the command-line has more context about what the user is
doing and tweaks the resolver accordingly.  There's a side note in there
that at the time (25 months ago), there were known problems in the
then-stable release of aptitude which caused incorrect removals.  I'm not
sure what I was referring to -- I was working full-time on Debian (i.e.,
I was unemployed :-/) at the time, and I had a lot more context available
back then.

  So my gripe might have been a little misdirected -- I forgot how old
the aptitude in sarge was.  My apologies to the world!

  It was a little disconcerting when I recently subscribed to debian-user
and saw people saying "oh, don't mix apt-get and aptitude" as if it were
gospel and the intended usage.  I guess I'll just have to keep correcting
those statement until good information drives out the bad.

  (FYI: the bug report that gave me the clue to the last slippery instance
of this problem was #411123; kudos to Frans Pop for a high-quality report.
The fact that I never saw it probably says something about my usage
patterns, not to mention that I never use apt-get...)

  Daniel