Re: APT 0.7 for sid

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 08:40:47PM -0700, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> was heard to say:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
> > On 06/06/07 17:59, Michael Vogt wrote:
>
> >> I would also love to find a way in the future to interface with the
> >> aptitude dependency problem resolver (that is superiour to the one in
> >> libapt).
>
> > Is this the same dependency resolver that tries to remove half your
> > packages as a result of the most minor package removal?
>
> No, that's not done by the dependency resolver.  That's done by the code
> that removes packages that you never told it should be installed.
>
> This problem goes away completely if you only use aptitude-aware tools to
> install packages.  It's basically a transition issue.  (I do agree that
> the transition could be improved.)

  aptitude's dependency removal has always been intended to be
conservative: it doesn't treat a package as a candidate for removal
unless it actually "saw" it get autoinstalled.

  Apparently there have been bugs in this for years and no-one reported
them until they caused trouble for the d-i team several months ago.
They should be fixed in stable's aptitude now, and I would appreciate
bug reports on any transition problems that remain.

  Daniel