Re: Is there a way to positively, uniquely identify which Debian release a program is running on?

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 09:33:26AM +0000, Peter Makholm wrote:
> But I have no idea where these information come from. According to
> /etc/debian_version I'm running'lenny/sid'.

This was discussed previously in the thread...

> Hmmm, lsb_release seems to parse 'apt-cache policy' and hardcodes the
> 'testing is etch' connection.

And this is an ugly hack since it forces the *program* to be changed for each
release instead of the *data* which leads to #425646  and similar bugs.

Regards

Javier