Re: Is there a way to positively, uniquely identify which Debian release a program is running on?

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

 pre@tux ~ $ rpm -qf /etc/redhat-release
 redhat-release-5Client-5.0.0.9
 pre@tux ~ $ rpm -ql redhat-release
 /etc/issue
 /etc/issue.net
 /etc/pki/rpm-gpg
 /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
 /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-test
 /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-auxiliary
 /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-beta
 /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-former
 /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release
 /etc/redhat-release

While I like your idea in principle I wonder whether it is
really reasonable to put this information into a conffile.
Everybody can change this to something else.  Isn't it better
to implement a
   /usr/bin/debian-release
that contains an option to get the real version number that
is hard coded anywhere if /etc/debian_version was changed?

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de