Re: Dependencies on shared libs, take 2

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007, Russ Allbery wrote:
> There's an argument to be made that shlibs files should be provided by the
> -dev packages, not the library packages.  We should at least think about
> whether the symbols files belong in the -dev package.  They're used to
> generate dependencies for packages at build time, and at build time you
> have the -dev package installed.  When you're installing an already-built
> package, it's not obvious that you're going to care about the symbols
> files.

That's right but no I won't change the current way of working:
- symbols are tightly coupled with compiled libraries, not with the
  headers
- dpkg-shlibdeps can't guess the -dev package based on a simple soname,
  whereas it does so correctly for the library (it just locates the
  library and does dpkg --search)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog