Re: License discussions in Debian

Am Dienstag, 5. Juni 2007 14:20:40 schrieb Anthony Towns:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 12:07:52PM +0200, Frank K?ster wrote:
> > You could ask Anthony whether you're allowed to publish his reasons on
> > -legal.  That would do the project a great favor.
>
> You could just ask me directly you know...

As my mail to you was private as well, I think Frank's approach was correct.

> ] Via Simon Phipps's talk at debconf, we've got Sun on the record
> ] as interpreting "choice of venue" as only being relevant when the
> ] two parties to a suit both have a presence in multiple jurisdictions,
> ] including the one that's "chosen", which means it's not a problem at all.
> ]
> ] For the other case, even if Sun did want to make German laws apply to
> ] an Australian or similar, I don't think that holds up as a claim anyway.
>
> I don't think that's a particularly useful addition to what's already
> been in this thread.

Actually, it is. If you look at the sub-thread involving Arnoud Engelfriet,
you will see that Simon's idea of ' "choice of venue" being only important
for multinational companies' is flawed, at least for the case at hand (star,
choice of venue: Berlin, Germany, Europe).

The same goes for the second paragraph as well (well, not for Australia and
the United States, but EU is not that small, either).

Additionally, the cited text is Sun's interpretation. What's the
interpretation of star's licensor?

	Thomas