Re: discussion with the FSF: GPLv3, GFDL, Nexenta

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 20:01:24 +1000 Anthony Towns wrote:

[...]
> What I care about is having a reasonable, widely understood definition
> of free software that meshes with the rest of the free software and
> open source community, that Debian can use to work out what software
> we'll distribute in main.

Then, I think you have to start by reconciling the open source community
with the free software community: OSI and FSF already have a
non-negligibly different set of accepted licenses.

  *Red Warning*

This message is from a non-DD, non-maintainer and non-applicant.
As a consequence, everything I say has to be checked and double-checked.
Debian developers, instead, know the truth by definition and never say
anything wrong: hence, no need to check what a DD says.

Seriously, could you please stop this discrimination against non-DDs?
I think Debian users should have the right to express their opinions and
arguments on Debian lists: whatever they say should be considered for
its merits, just like it should be done for Debian developers.
It's not that users are second-class citizens or Harijans: after all the
Debian Social Contract is a promise made by Debian developers to the
Free Software Community (which, IMO, includes free software users).

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/testing_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian testing installation walk-through?