Re: Dependencies on shared libs, take 2

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 04, 2007, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > While I agree on the burden, I don't think it's wise to rely on other
> > tools to merge multiple informations in a single file which would then be
> > given to dpkg-gensymbols.
>
>  Hmm, how is this different from the way *.shlibs files are handled
>  currently?

I don't see much similarity.

- shlibs are not created by any dpkg-* tool, but symbols files are
- dh_makeshlibs create shlibs file but without using any local file
  as input, all the input comes from the command line
- dh_installdeb installs maintainer provided shlibs file but it doesn't
  use any dpkg-* tool to do that, it merely copies the file over

For me the symbols files are coupled to dpkg-gensymbols and any
manipulation is best done by this tool instead of letting other
high-level tools chime in. I'll gladly add any required feature do
dpkg-gensymbols directly.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog