Re: how long is 'pending'

On Wed, 16 May 2007, Neil Williams wrote:
> How long should bugs be tagged pending in advance of an upload?

Time isn't the important metric, in my opinion. The question is
whether the maintainer has fixed the bug (or believes they have fixed
the bug) in their development environment and the fix will be present
in the next upload.

> Is it acceptable to tag a bug pending when fixed upstream and the
> maintainer is confident of an upstream release in under a week?
> (This is easy for me, I'm also upstream in many cases. :-))

Yes.

> Does it depend on the severity of the bug?

No.

> Does it depend on the priority of the package? (or the popcon score?)

No.

> Does it depend on how many bugs are tagged pending for that package?

No.

> Should the bug be tagged pending as soon as it has been fixed with a
> local test package, no matter what?

Yes.

At least in my opinion, the pending tag is useful for the maintainer
to prioritize their work on bugs, as well as for other people who are
trying to help the maintainer work on their bugs to avoid duplicating
work. It says to everyone: "I have fixed this bug; don't waste time on
it."

If a bug is pending for a very long time without an upload, then the
maintainer probably should consider uploading more often, but
sometimes there are things that keep that from happening. [For
instance, debbugs has a lot of bugs which are pending primarily
because I have a few more features/bugs which I have to fix before a
new version can be released; right now it's held together with too
much duct tape and spit for me to even countenance having it in
experimental.]

Don Armstrong