Re: Merging packages

Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> wrote:

> Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz <rodrigo@nul-unu.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> Also, some people might be relaying in the file's current location for
>> something. Should I put a symlink in their place?
>
> Just a warning: Symlinks that are shipped in the deb and point to
> conffiles (not just directories) are not a good idea.
>
> bug #420578

Oh, since your statement confused me a bit, but reading the bug log
clarified it: The problem is not with any symlink pointing to conffiles,
in particular not with the common case of fixing non-FHS-aware
applications by creating symlinks from /usr/share/ to /etc.

The problem is specifically with symlinks from /etc to some other place
in /etc, and is caused by the fact that debhelper does not mark symlinks
in /etc as conffiles.  Has this aspect been discussed with the debhelper
maintainer?

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster