Re: Sharing a subdirectory of /usr/share between multiple packages ?

[Steve Greenland]
> There's no requirement that /usr contain only pre-packaged info;
> most of the wrappers that download binaries (e.g. flash) put them
> under /usr.

It might not be a requirement, but it is a smart thing do to.  And as
far as I know, the wrappers downloading binaries are creating a
package out of the binaries and installing this package to make sure
the files in /usr/ are registered in the packaging system.

> /var is wrong. The data is read-only and architecture independent.
> That's the very definition of /usr/share.

I almost agree.  But if the data is updated using scripts and
downloaded from the web, they are not really read-only. :)

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen