Sharing a subdirectory of /usr/share between multiple packages ?

Dear all,

In the Debian-Med project, we started to package a bioinformatic
analysis suite - EMBOSS - which exploits local or remote sequence
databases (read-only). When they are small (a few megaoctets), we are
considering pacakging them. But in the case of much bigger ones
(gigabytes), we will use wrappers.

It would make a lot of sense to have them in the same directory, so that
the sysadmin can dedicate a partition to this heavy data. We are
thinking about something like /usr/share/biodata for instance. In
the case the wrappers would directly install data and not generate
ad-hoc packages, maybe something in the /var hierachy would be more
appropriate. But there is no /var/share... Also I am a bit unsure if the
local sysadmin would be allowed to write in...

Was there already a similar situation in Debian? What was the solution
chosen?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy