Re: The number of etch installations is rocketing...

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 12:21:09AM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Pe?a wrote:
> > Looking at the submission numbers from
> > <URL:http://popcon.debian.org/>, I am happy to report that the number
> > of Etch installations is increasing fast.
>
> IMHO there are some ways we could track get some better numbers for that.
>
> Given the fact that "many" users are using security.debian.org as the default
> security mirror, that etch enables it by default (there were some previous
> releases that didn't IIRC) and that *we* have control over those servers'
> logs we could count the number of downloads of the Packages files from the
> official security mirrors [1].
> [...]
> [1] Official mirrors could also be used, but getting the logs from the
> different admins would be rather difficult.

Actually, it wouldn't be all that difficult. All we have to do is ask.
I bet that most people would be happy to send us their logs if we asked them
nicely. We already bother them with various other requests, this wouldn't
be a major thing for most people.

Cc:ing and MFT'ing debian-mirrors for further discussion of this particular
aspect.

As it happens, the other day I was going about fixing up our own HTTP daemon
log analysis for www.debian.org - we had the logs on our machine, but nobody
noticed that our webalizer cron jobs died due to an upgrade. My point being,
just because it's on project-owned machines that doesn't necessarily mean
that we'll do a particularly good job of it :) the other volunteers who
don't happen to be official developers but contribute their knowledge as
mirror admins could almost as easily help collect this data.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.