Re: 64-bit transition deadline (Re: Etch in the hands of the Stable Release Managers)

On 4/12/07, Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> wrote:
This thread has been moved from debian-release already.

That's because debian-release is not a discussion list, it's only for
coordination of the release.

We're discussing a question that could affect decisions on the lenny release schedule.

The release schedule will not be affected by whatever ESR says in his essays.

Debian already includes 64bit architectures in its release, so if you
want to use them, you already have them.  The schedule of the next
release shouldn't be affected by how many people buy new 64bit
machines, they'll be able to use Etch on them.

Which list is appropiate for that?

No Debian-list is appropiate for discussing how many win64 games are
out there, nor how easy it is to program in Visual Basic for
non-developers, nor for explaining the methods that Windows uses to
make games run faster, nor for discussing the costs of running
Microsoft Office.

You've already raised your concern about having a release in 18
months.  I think that your 64bit "deadline" is as valid a reason as
someone saying "I don't want to be running 2006's GNOME in 2009", or
someone else saying "I want Debian Stable to include foo, bar, and
baz, which are currently only in Testing"

You don't need to keep an off-topic thread alive so that your reasons are heard.

--
Besos,
Marga