Re: The number of etch installations is rocketing...

Lars Wirzenius wrote:
I may be wrong, I don't know, but in my opinion a ping to call back home
even if the user said `No' is a evil behaviour and Debian should avoid it.

I agree. If the user says "no", we should do nothing.

Indeed, I also think that "No" here means "I don't want to send any kind of information".

However, changing the popcon debconf question to something like the
following might be an acceptable compromise:
[...]
        [ ] No, I do not want to participate at all.
        [ ] I want to report once that I have installed Debian.
        [ ] I want to participate in the package popularity contest.

That sounds pretty good, and I believe that the "blind-user effect" Joey spoke about would be reduced with a select choice.

Regards,

--
Alexis Sukrieh