Re: The number of etch installations is rocketing...

Hi,

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
> * 2007-04-12 11:29, Joey Hess wrote:
> > I wonder if it would be reasonable to make d-i hit one of two urls
> > depending on whether the user chose to enable popcon, and count the
> > results.
>
> Isn't this a violation of user's privacy? If the user hitted `No', this
> really means that he doesn't want to call home.

As long as we don't use that to collect sensitive information, it would be
ok IMO. (Of course, a preseed question could avoid it completely too)

Fedora has done it and while the initial discussion came up with such
concerns, they have done so without creating major troubles or loosing
developers, etc.

I remember this LWN article on this topic:
http://lwn.net/Articles/203694/

I can't find a newer article with the final decision taken and the
rationale but that would be interesting for this discussion.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog