Re: Not-so-mass bug filing for the patented IDEA algorithm

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:

> There is an argument that source code can only be a description whereas
> a binary is an implementation, so only distributing binaries that
> include the claimed invention could infringe.  I'm not sure whether this
> has been legally tested.

If this holds true that would mean Debian could distribute the source
as long it is disabled and not compiled into the binary.

Personally, I don't think that argument is valid.  What about
interpreted languages where only the source is shipped anyway?  This
would mean you don't need to care about patents as long as you
implement it in e.g. Python.  I don't think that will withstand a
legal trial.  But, I am no lawyer.

Matthias