Re: 64-bit transition deadline (Re: Etch in the hands of the Stable Release Managers)

On 4/10/07, Jean-Christophe Dubacq <jean-christophe.dubacq@ens-lyon.org> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 12:00:08AM -0700, Sean Perry wrote:
> I haven't seen much Debian in the last 6 years in the commercial
> world. RH rules that roost. If people have chosen closed source, then
> they likely are also paying for an enterprise edition of their free
> OS too. Linux == Redhat was done in like 2000. Time to worry about
> other things.

I work in a science lab and can tell you that even though we do have
commercial software (Matlab, Maple, CPlex and other scientific
computation programs, some of which are at least twenty years ahead of
any free equivalent), we do use debian and from there also use it
elsewhere (our homes, our students' workstations, etc.). Should we
become unable to do our daily job with Debian, yes, we would have to
switch distributions, which would be a pity since this is a place where
computer scientists are made.

I'm pretty interested in knowing which programs are so advanced as to
being 20 years ahead of libre equivalents, and why, if you don't mind.