Re: 64-bit transition deadline (Re: Etch in the hands of the Stable Release Managers)

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 17:20:33 -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> said:

> On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 02:06:14PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>> Secondly, these large application developers you seem to speak of
>> appear to be proprietary application developers -- which mean that in
>> my eyes the issue pales to insignificance.  Are we talking about
>> closed source software here?

> Absolutely.  Are you interested in how Debian competes in the market
> place, or are you only interested that it remains free and useful to
> you personally?

        I am interested in a free and powerful OS for the free software
 community -- like minded people, those who are  interested in pushing
 freedom of software, as opposed to taking the path of least
 resistance.

> Even if you're only interested in the latter, doesn't its usefulness
> depend on the network effects of having other developers interested in
> Debian and working on it as a project, which makes market share
> relevant in any case?

        I am not convinced that the free software community can't keep
 the project supplied with developers (in other words, people like me).
 I am far more interested in creating a free OS than in a great platform
 for non-free software (if it happens incidentally, then I am not upset
 by it either).

> In a world where a significant majority of our (current or
> prospective) userbase needs closed source software in order to
> accomplish the things they set out to with their computers, how Debian

        That does not really describe me, and not the target audience I
 put in my work for.

> interfaces with such closed-source software is of some relevance to
> all of us who want to see Debian thrive, even if we choose not to use
> that software ourselves.

        Helping closed source software developers is not an itch I feel
 like scratching.  But if other people want to spend time making things
 easy for closed software, I am of course not going to stand in their
 way, no matter what my opinions on such activities are.

        However, if it comes to a choice between free software and
 making things easier for non free software developers, or negatively
 impacting libre software to help closed source software development, I
 know how I would choose.

        So hurrying the release process to help out closed source
 development is not likely to see me as cheering from the sidelines,
 no.  (pardon me if I am misinterpreting the thread as it happened on
 -release, where the proposed time-line of releasing in two years are
 being argued against because closed source software developers might
 decide to select against Debian -- which seems close enough to
 "hurrying up" to me).  If that is not the case here, then I apologize
 for the noise.

        manoj
--
In order to live free and happily, you must sacrifice boredom. It is not
always an easy sacrifice.