Re: Poll: Anybody using debpool?

On Thursday 05 April 2007 23:04, Andreas Fester wrote:
> Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> [...]
> > * You've indented the main loop in bin/debpool. While I think that's how
> > it should be, I also think it's best to undo it until we have merged all
> > contributions.
>
> Sure. I did this to make the main loop more readable, but for merging
> it might be better not to indent it at first. I think that
> the main loop is too large anyway and should be refactored to only call
> a few other functions.

I totally agree with that. I was going to suggest it myself.

> Did you already think about the further proceeding? Shall we register
> a debpool2, debpool-ng or whatsoever project on alioth?

I've created a package incorporating a number of minor or relatively minor
changes, which I thought perhaps could be uploaded as an NMU or something
(version 0.2.3.1 or 0.2.4). My idea is that we then base debpool2|debpool-ng
on that.

My package is at ftp://ftp.kibibyte.se/debian/pool/main/d/debpool/
(ftp://ftp.kibibyte.se/debian/pool/main/d/debpool/debpool_0.2.3+mh1.dsc)

For more detail, look in my SVN repository at
http://svn.kibibyte.se/debpool/branches/magnus (anonymous SVN to
svn://svn.kibibyte.se/debpool/branches/magnus should work too).

I think that "not rejecting duplicate orig tarballs" is fairly minor too, but
I'm not sure that it should simply overwrite any existing tarball. I think
the MD5 checksum should be checked and if it matches, the duplicate should be
ignored, like dinstall does. Otherwise the upload should be rejected, except
perhaps if rollback is allowed. Binary packages not matching the source can
be weird. To that end, all old binary packages should perhaps even be deleted
if the source changes.

The same goes for the --verbose option, but I think its definition should be
in Config.pm unless it's command line only, and maybe duplication the log
output to stdout (or stderr) is better selected with some more
general --logging option?

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)