Re: Poll: Anybody using debpool?

On Friday 30 March 2007 21:34, Andreas Fester wrote:
> I do. I am currently a littlebit short of time, but I also already
> hacked some improvements into debpool, among them
>
> - Added optional File Alteration Monitor support to make the
>   incoming queue more responsive (plan is to also add GAMIN support)
>
> - Started to implement automatic tests to check if packages are
>   properly installed in the pool (see the tests subdirectory)
>
> - Added support for multi arch archives (the .package files were
>   not arch specific and therefore overwritten when an additional
>   arch-specific package was uploaded)
>
> - Some minor bug fixes
>
> The package is at
> http://littletux.homelinux.org/debian/pool/main/d/debpool/

Some comments:

* You've indented the main loop in bin/debpool. While I think that's how it
should be, I also think it's best to undo it until we have merged all
contributions.

* SGI::FAM is not a module available in Debian, even in experimental. While
that's not required of a package that is merely suggested by an experimental
package, I think it would be preferable. I implemented the same thing using
inotify (which Gamin uses) with Linux::Inotify2, which exists in Debian
(liblinux-inotify2-perl) and is also simpler (doesn't need a C library and a
running daemon). The drawback is that it requires a Linux 2.6.13 kernel.
There is also the older dnotify, which FAM uses if available, but which I
haven't found any Perl package of whatsoever. But I believe in freedom of
choice and think that any number of alternatives can be made available for
the user to choose from.

* Did you get the init script to work?
start-stop-daemon --stop --exec /usr/bin/debpool shouldn't work,
since /proc/(pid)/exe points to /usr/bin/perl.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)