Re: Handling of (inactive) Debian Accounts

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:28:06 -0600, Manoj Srivastava
<srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>        I can see you have never actually packaged a .deb without
> using dpkg and debhelper and debian specific programs.  When I did
> this on a red hat box, I found the activity a great deal of fun, as
> well as being very instructive.
>
>        We are packagers to start with. Yes, we are more than
> glorified packagers, but our primary value add is packaging and
> systems integration.  Seems like the ideal candidate would find
> learning how packages are put together and integrated a fun
> activity.

I tend to learn better by watching tools at work. Thanks to free
software, tools[1] are available to watch tools.

>        I personally find hand crafting my packages more satisfying
> and more fun than just using helper packages.  Your mileage obviously
> has varied.

Obviously. Your approach sounds like not invented here, mine like code
reuse.

[1] tcpdump, strace