Re: recent etch upgrade... sashroot (uid=0) started to impersonate uid=0 (root)

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 10:45:53AM +1100, Brian May wrote:

> I suspect you will find it behaves in much the same way on all Unix
> like operating systems, unless caching is used or /etc/passwd has been
> replaced with a db file or database (do any OS do this by default?).

We've used nscd on Solaris 10 years (boy, was it that long?) ago and
observed the same feature. This is not something new.

> Unfortunately, like it or not, many people have seen it as a de-facto
> standard - if this is a defacto standard we want to preserve or not is
> another matter.

A couple hundred years ago the de-facto standard was that the Earth is
flat. Many people beleiving something does not make it true.

There are many interesting aspects and side-effects of large-scale user
databases that small systems simply do not see. That does not mean that
large systems should give up performance & flexibility just to mimic
systems with less than a hundred real users.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences